Being a husband is the hardest work I’ve ever had to do. And I think many (if not all) married men would agree. One of the most challenging things is that a husband must be both man and gentleman.
Our hands must be strong enough to carry heavy weights and fight when necessary. But they must also be gentle enough to comfort and caress.
Our speech must inspire submission and embody leadership, but it must also speak softly and lovingly.
We must be rugged enough to get our hands dirty, but we must also clean up nicely at her request.
I made a list of things I did today that somehow capture being a husband as both man and gentleman. I hope it will be helpful to other husbands and would be husbands out there.
- Prepare Carla’s breakfast
- Wash the dishes afterward
- Listen patiently to her advice on technology
- Pick up her dress for the Star Magic Ball
- Help her get into her dress, including managing all those tiny hooks and loops
- Fix the shiny, metallic belt so that it really ties the whole outfit together
- Make decisions for our day ahead
- Initiate making love
- Do some heavy lifting around the house
- Mentor some young men on growing up
- Watch a Mixed Martial Arts event with a bunch of guys
- And I still haven’t taken a bath the whole day
Well, that’s all part of a husband’s work. Hope it’s informative and helpful.
Now I have to do one more gentlemanly thing and take a shower because my wife won’t let me sleep beside her if I don’t.