I didn’t watch the Academy awards this year, but a few hours after the event I couldn’t miss the tweets and memes about Leonardo di Caprio failing to win his Best Actor Oscar.
Here are some of the memes.
People have been clamoring for his Best Actor award for years. Ever since his work on The Aviator, I think.
But while Leo hasn’t won an Oscar. He continues to churn out excellent performances that impress many. Now I don’t know what di Caprio’s motivations are. Maybe he’s gunning for an Oscar, maybe not.
But I’m glad he hasn’t stopped delivering at a very high level just because he isn’t getting the accolade he deserves.
In the same way, when we don’t get the recognition we think we need we might be tempted to just give up. But that raises a question:
Are you only doing your best because of what others might say, or because you really want to do excellent work?
- Are you studying hard to get good grades or because you want to develop yourself and learn?
- Do you only do a good job when your boss is looking or does your work have the evidence of a job well done?
- Will you only help others when your good works will be seen or are you willing to help anonymously?
When we stop doing good work because we didn’t get the credit we were expecting, it just shows that our real motivation was being praised.
As the saying goes, “A good deed is its own reward.”
And if you are a believer, you have two more powerful reasons to work hard regardless of whether you get credit or not.
Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,  since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
1. God is your boss, more than your human boss. Even if your boss, your teacher, or your parents aren’t looking, God is. That’s why it’s worth doing your best every time.
2. God is an excellent boss! He’s not selfish, stingy, or small-minded. He will reward you! So don’t look to other humans for your reward. God will reward you because that’s the kind of God He is.
So let’s get to work!